Passportia – Nationality and Immigration Specialists
Passportia is a specialist nationality and immigration advice firm independent of the UK government and regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner. Applications for official recognition of British nationality are made directly to the UK authorities, but legal advice on how to make and substantiate a claim cannot be obtained from the government. If you need advice on naturalisation or settlement in the UK, our specialist lawyers can help.
What is the “Life in the UK Test”?
The test is designed by the government to ensure a person has knowledge of UK society, history, politics and government. The official textbook is called “Life in the UK”. The test has 24 questions to be answered in 45 minutes and can be done at one of around 60 official test centres throughout the UK. The test must normally be passed before making an application for:
- Indefinite Leave to Remain (“ILR”, “settlement” or “permanent residency”), or
- Naturalisation as a British citizen.
You can read more at: https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/overview
What Passportia Does for an Application for ILR or Naturalisation as a British citizen
- We check whether you need ILR or naturalisation (you may have already be settled, a British citizen or have an easier and cheaper route to British citizenship),
- We check if you are exempt from the Life in the UK test or English language test, and if not provide detailed advice on how to satisfy these tests,
- We carefully check that you qualify so that you do not lose the non-refundable Home Office fee on a failed application (£1093 for ILR, £906 for naturalisation),
- We will help you gather the documentary evidence required for the application and check that it is correct,
- We carefully prepare your application and a letter of representation demonstrating that your application meets all the requirements and addressing any issues.
Read more about Indefinite Leave to Remain or Naturalisation in the UK or speak to us about your application by phoning us on [hana-code-insert name=\’UK Number\’ /], or on [hana-code-insert name=\’Skype\’ /].
Do I qualify for ILR?
A person must have been resident in the UK (or Channel Islands or Isle of Man) under a category of visa or leave that leads to settlement. Most routes under the immigration rules that lead to settlement, do so in 5 years. Some important UK visa categories that do not lead to settlement are:
- Students / Tier 4
- Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer
- Tier 5 Temporary Worker
EEA nationals and their family members can qualify for permanent residence in a different way, in most cases after they have been living in the UK for 5 years. To learn more phone us on [hana-code-insert name=\’UK Number\’ /] or Skype passportia.org, or enter your details in the sidebar form.
Who Normally Qualifies for Naturalisation as a British citizen?
You could qualify for naturalisation as a British citizen if, for at least the last 3 years, you:
- lived legally in the UK (or Channel Islands or Isle of Man or a British overseas territory), or
- worked in the British Armed Forces, or
- worked for the UK government (usually outside the UK.)
To learn more phone us on [hana-code-insert name=\’UK Number\’ /] or Skype passportia.org, or enter your details in the sidebar form.
Our Client Care Process
Passportia is dedicated to providing you with the advice you need in a clear and helpful manner. You can read more about the usual process we go through with a client here.