German citizens enjoy many rights and benefits, including a right to a German passport.
German Citizenship (“Staatsangehörigkeit”) can be obtained in a number of ways, the most common being by inheritance or naturalisation:
- by descent from a German parent or ancestor
- by legitimation of a child with a German father to June 1998
- by adoption by a German parent
- by marriage to a German man between 1914 and March 1953
- by restoration if a German parent or ancestor lost it under Nazi laws
- by naturalisation, either discretionary or by residence in Germany
- by employment by the German government on any date between 1871 and August 1953, including military service
Former Germans who lost German citizenship as a result of border changes following WWI or WWII, or who are descendants of Germans who migrated to the Russian Empire can – as long as they fulfill the requirements – also reclaim their citizenship.
Proving German citizenship by ancestry often requires copies of family records in Germany or Poland. Passportia can assist with obtaining copies.
These points are a simplified representation of potential claims for German Citizenship and Passports. In practice an individual case can be far more complicated. Passportia is well-placed to support you in filing a successful application.
To discuss an assessment of your claim to German citizenship, call +1 (305) 770 6530 or complete the Contact Us form on the right ➨
Or call using WhatsApp or FaceTime on your smartphone – click icon (+44 7415 111 167)
How we Work with a Client
How Passportia Works
- You provide us with information on your history or your family history, ideally using the Evaluation Form on our website.
- We try to form a view of your citizenship prospects within one week.
- If we are confident that you can get citizenship, then we provide a proposal with a price quote for each stage of the process
- If you wish to proceed, then we will work through the following steps:
- We email you an agreement for signature with a list of documents required.
- You sign this and deposit the fee in our Client Escrow Account.
- We prepare the application forms, evidence pack and letter of representation with a legal opinion to maximise chance of success.
- You submit the application to the government and we assist with queries.
Our success rate with citizenship applications based on ancestry is over 90%. Please view the many testimonials from satisfied clients (see sidebar on right).
For security and consumer protection we accept payments through PayPal